The majority of novels, plays, and poems in this course were written in the period from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance. The readings raise issues about faith, love, sin, and the human condition. We will discuss these topics in class from a Christian approach, based on careful interpretation of Scripture.
In addition to studying literary criticism, you will sharpen your writing skills through formal essays, informal journaling, and creative writing assignments.
- Cyrano de Bergerac, Edmond Rostand
- Macbeth, William Shakespeare
- Beowulf, author unknown
- The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien
- Canterbury Tales, Geoffrey Chaucer
- Inferno, Dante Alighieri
- Paradise Lost, John Milton
- Traditional fairy tales (Charles Perrault, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, Hans Christian Andersen, et al.)